Thame Local History
Thame in the Domesday Book
Thame has two entries in the Domesday Book :
The Bishop holds Thame himself. 60 hides. Of these, he has 27 hides in his revenue; his men-at-arms have the others.
Land for 34 ploughs. Now in lordship 5 ploughs; 5 slaves.
27 villagers with 26 smallholders have 19 ploughs.
A mill at 20s; from the meadows 60s.
Value before 1066 £20; when acquired £16; now £30.
Of the land of the manor of Thame, Robert holds 10 hides from the Bishop; Saewold 4 hides; William 3 hides; Alfred and his associate 6 hides.
In lordship 10 ploughs;
16 villagers with 21 smallholders and 8 slaves have 10 ploughs.
Total value £20.
The Bishop is Remigius, Bishop of Lincoln. The first entry refers to Thame itself, and the second to the other settlements within the manor of Thame. These are believed to be Moreton, North Weston, Tetsworth and Attington.
The Bishop held Thame himself, with its mill, meadows and as we know from archaeology its Saxon church. He also held land in the outlying settlements at Moreton, North Weston and Tetsworth. These are known as the Bishop's 'demesne' lands.
Land in the outlying settlements at Moreton, Attington, North Weston and Tetsworth was sub-let to the Bishop's men.
The manor of Thame as described in the Domesday Book is believed to be based on the much older Saxon parish, with a mother church at Thame, originally a royal minster, and dependant chapelries in the surrounding countryside.
For more on Thame and the Norman Conquest, and the Bishop's men who held land in Thame, click here.