Thame Local History
Early 19th Century Dates (1821 - 1850)
|1821||Grand fete held in Thame Park to mark coronation of George IV.|
Thame Enclosure Award.
Organisers of bull-baiting at Thame were fined. More
|1827||Congregationalist Chapel opened in Thame High Street.|
A canal from Aylesbury to Thame was mooted, but nothing came of it.
Sophia Elizabeth Wykeham of Thame Park was the owner of Thame prebend,
and was fined for not repairing the Crendon Bridge.
|1830||Primitive Methodist Chapel began at Moreton.|
|1833||A turnpike trust was setup for the Thame to Bicester road.|
Poor Law Amendment Act established Thame Union and Registration District.
Sophia Elizabeth Wykeham of Thame Park became Baroness Wenman. More
Thame Union Workhouse opened in Priestend.
Thame parish widened the approaches to the bridge at Priestend.
Charles Stone bought the Prebendal House from Baroness Wenman. More
Baroness Wenman restored the Chapel in Thame Park. More
Royal British School opened in Park Street.
National School opened on Hog Fair.
Thame Congregational Chapel was registered for marriages.
First ever Penny Black used to send a letter to George Waterman at Thame.
James Marsh opened his Oxford County Middle Class School at Thame.
First detailed population census of Thame.
Chapelries at Sydenham, Tetsworth and Towersey, formerly part of Thame parish, became independent.
Thame Annual Temperance Festival was first held.
|1842||First gas lighting at Thame.|
|1844||Montagu Bertie, 5th earl of Abingdon, offered manor of Thame for sale.|
John Stone bought the Prebendal House.
|1849||Miss Nicholls began a girl's school at Thame.|