Thame Local History
The Late Victorian Period (1871 - 1901)

Despite the town's many new advantages, there were still open ditches to carry away waste from the High Street, including from the town centre slaughter houses.

A local Board of Health was formed in 1871 to address the sanitary conditions within the town. The first priority was the drainage and sewerage situation.

There had been several attempts to run a local fire service, but it was not until 1878 that Thame acquired a permanent fire station with its own fire engines. Thame's Fire Engine House opened in Park Street in 1878.

In 1879 the current Lord Williams Grammar School on the Oxford Road replaced the original Grammar School in Church Row.

During the 1880's many new terraced houses were built along Chinnor Road, Park Street and East Street.

The Market Hall in the middle of Thame High Street dated from 1684, and although it had been adorned with an external spiral staircase, was not considered fit for the purpose.

In 1887 the old Market Hall was pulled down and the present Town Hall built, on the occasion of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee.

The town roads were greatly improved in 1894.

In 1897 the Victoria Cottage Hospital was opened in East Street, on the occasion of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee.

Thame Grammar School

The market halls and new Town Hall

            Home   |   Contents   |   This Site   |   Contacts   |   Email
  Local History Research Group
  Thame, Oxfordshire, England