Thame Local History
Domesday Period (1066 - 1099)

Domesday Book

The Domesday Book, compiled in 1086, records the manor of Thame as belonging to the Bishop of Lincoln, a man named Remigius.

The Domesday entry for the manor of Thame included the settlements at Moreton, North Weston, Tetsworth, Attington and possibly Waterstock.

Before the Norman Conquest Thame belonged to the Bishop of Dorchester, who in 1066 was a man named Wulfwig, appointed by Edward the Confessor.

A Benedictine monk called Remigius from Fecamp on the coast of Normandy had provided ships and men to William the Conqueror's cause and had been promised the first available Bishopric in England in return.

Wulfwig died in 1067 and Remigius duly became Bishop of Dorchester.

In or around 1072 the seat of this huge diocese was moved from Dorchester to Lincoln, and Remigius became the first ever Bishop of Lincoln.

Within the diocese of Lincoln there were very many manors, and a certain proportion belonged to the Bishop himself, known as his demesne lands, in order to provide an income for him and his retinue, as well as for the religious houses within the diocese.

The building of a Norman Cathedral at Lincoln was begun in 1087.

Thame's entry in the Domesday Book

            Home   |   Contents   |   This Site   |   Contacts   |   Email
  Local History Research Group
  Thame, Oxfordshire, England